Monday, March 23, 2015

A Pilot Looks at 40

There are times in life when you set a goal, and you set out to reach said goal in a certain timeframe, with nothing in your way.  Before long you reach that goal with a major sense of accomplishment and pride.

Then there are times when you set out to reach a goal, with nothing in your way, and circumstances beyond your control suddenly force you to delay reaching the finish line.

I'm down this morning, and I just have to write it down.  That's the whole point of a blog, right?  To share what's on your mind or what you experience?

I got a text from Randy this morning.  A text I was pretty much expecting, but the contents were more than I anticipated.

34Q will be unavailable for TWO weeks, not just one, for the new paint job, flying to Mena, AR for the work to be done.  That means my earliest opportunity to fly again will be April 6.  11 months to the day since my discovery flight.

My silent goal in getting my PPL has been to get there before I turn 40.  When I set out on this journey, I had 11 1/2 months to get there, and only expected it to take 6 of those.

With this latest delay, it pretty much blows any chance I have of completing my requirements and taking my checkride before my birthday (4/30).

I realize this is trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I was still pushing, even though time was already short, and I had confidence I could still accomplish this part of the goal, even if it is secondary.  I'm not stopping, by any means.  But I'm disappointed that I won't make it before the big 4-0.  Even more so because the reasons I won't were all out of my control.  Every single delay was something that couldn't be overcome, bypassed, or worked around.

It'll be worth it in the end.  I'll get my PPL this summer.  I may not make OshKosh, partly due to financial reasons since I now won't have time to save for the trip after I finish my PPL.  But there's always next year.  

Two Victor Uniform, clear of the active.


No comments:

Post a Comment