Monday, June 8, 2015

Quick Update - Crazy Week

Last week was one of those crazy ones.  It started with me only getting 4 1/2 hours of sleep Sunday night.  Sleep issues continued through the week and this past weekend.  With a flight lesson (and hopefully a solo) scheduled for last Tuesday evening, I was hoping Monday night's sleep would be better.  It might have been, but it ended up not mattering.

Monday morning (6/1) my CFI texted me he'd be out of town due to a change in his work schedule, asking if I wanted to fly that evening instead.

Fly.  On 4.5 hours of sleep.  Sure, why not?

Knowing with the ceiling being low I'd only be working on landings, I accepted the offer.

I'll just say that it wasn't one of my worst lessons, but it was far from my best.  9 kt direct crosswind, doing pattern work on runway niner.  In short, some were ok, but none were greasers.  After the lesson we debriefed as usual.  I let him know that I knew coming into this lesson I was going to be off my game, and I'd accepted the fact that all my approaches wouldn't be perfect, and my landings the same.

He assured me he didn't feel unsafe at any time during the lesson, and that I'm still ready to solo.  Regardless, I'm not sure it was the best decision to fly.   All-in-all, I did learn a personal limit:  If I've only had 4.5 hours of sleep, being PIC of a plane, although not dangerous by any means, isn't the best idea.

Next lesson scheduled for Tuesday 6/9, with plans to solo if I'm "on" this week.

Two Victor Uniform clear of the active.  

No comments:

Post a Comment